About Me

My photo
Software Developer and ideas man!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oh Ma – why is CrystalReportViewer not visible in my Visual Studio 2010 ToolBox?

I thought I knew a thing or 2 about Crystal Reports but this little problem took me back to basics.
I thought I’ll just create a new C# app. in Visual Studio 2010 using Crystal Reports targeted to this version.  Simple right.  Yeah maybe.

Anyway, I created a new Winforms app, a new blank Crystal Report and defined a dataset for it.
I was then intending to put a Crystal Report Viewer on the form, so I went to the toolbox expecting to see “Reporting->CrystalReportViewer” and nothing! Doh!  I had a Microsoft Viewer but no CrystalReportViewer.  Hmm - What to do – what to do....


OK – lets build and see if we have some unresolved references.  Yep.  Sure do.  It was coming back with  the following.  The target platform was .Net Framework 4.0!

Ok – so by retargeting my project to .Net 3.5 resolved this problem and I was happily able to continue on my development path.  There are other alternatives but this worked for me and hopefully will work for others caught out by this.

P.S. And if you really want to target to .Net 4, check out this link for further info [ I came across this during my research]
   
http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1802638



More from this Blogger:
Localizing Crystal Reports in C# - I demonstrate one way of doing it despite the hurdles!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I already come up the same problem in crystal report viewer. Until I found out that there's a way to fixed my problem, I found this solution at Crystal Report Viewer

    ReplyDelete